Alright I've just been sitting here mulling over the so called "levite" dress that I've supposedly been sewing and I've discovered what is bothering me about it. The darn thing isn't a Levite anything. Here is the picture on the pattern.
I dashed up to my sewing room and pulled out the pattern to have a look at it with my own eyes. Somehow I always seem to get caught up in the excitement of trying out a new pattern and I don't pay any attention. It says specifically on the pattern to cut straight across for the bodice of the Levite. I completely bypassed it. *Sigh*
If I hadden't been having a late night peek at my
KCI Fashion: A History From the 18th to the 20th Century I'd have never caught it and gone on and on posting this as the title of my posts. Well henceforth this particular piece of work shall be known as the robe a l'anglaise with a time frame of somewhere in the 1780's.
|Much better without the ruffled petticoat|
I'll still be sticking with my original ideas for details and so on but now I will be going forward with more understanding. And anyway, I wouldn't be Madam Novice if I didn't make mistakes.