Tuesday, August 26, 2014

1863 Sheer Dress

My current project is the 1863 Sheer Dress pattern from Truly Victorian. I'm using a beige plaid for the main fabric and a plum cotton for my piping and buttons. Having worked with TV patterns previously I was prepared for the method of sizing that is used. As per usual though my bust measure skewed my bodice front size and I had to take a shot in the dark on that. Happily I was correct in my choice and was able to move on from my muslin quickly.
 Please excuse my cell phone photos, my photographer was otherwise engaged with the baby.
After making a few small sizing adjustments I went ahead and cut into my fabric. I'd bought this bolt nearly two years ago and have been saving it for this project specifically. Since then Joann's had discontinued it. So if I flubbed it I was up sugar creek. Even though I'm not wearing or making a hoop, because I simply don't have the time, I will still need to omit one panel from the skirt to have enough fabric to finish.    
My corset was made prior to having my son and now my cups runneth over. The lining is stretched pretty tight but the outer fabric is doing alright.
I decided to change the sleeve cuff and add a button closure. The cuff  needed to be wide to get your hand through but it looked really bad. Having never done one without a pattern before it took some time to figure out. Well worth it. 
I have four days left to finish this and will need to sew like mad, or madder than I already am to get it finished. Just to get my mind organized I'll list it here.

To Do: 
  • Pipe and apply waistband.
  • Measure and cut skirt panels.
  • Sew skirt to bodice and hem.
  • Make and sew on buttons.

Thursday, August 21, 2014

1860ish Bonnet

To kick off the 1860s I whipped up a new bonnet to get me moving. I wanted to avoid any of my usual colors and went with some bolder choices. For me anyway.
To make this one instead of cutting out the shape I unraveled the straw hat, sewing on strips to get close to the shape I was aiming for.
And there she be.  I'm in love with the colors together and the flowers. I made this mostly from my stash. I purchased the ribbon and trim which I dyed. 

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Madam Novice on FB

I've made a page for Madam Novice. How cool is that. Wow I'm so totally behind the times! https://m.facebook.com/MadamNovice

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Elizabethan Kirtle: And other bits.

So to jump back on the costuming band wagon after my rather long hiatus, I set about sewing up some clothes to wear to the Ren Faire. I've been out of the game for so long and literally have no time to myself , so I'm really shocked that...I did it. And I think I did it well too. After much debate and a little research I decided to make a kirtle. Plain and simple without any frills. Granted it all started with some drooling over the idea of nobles clothing. You know the ever present, yet ever unattainable work of art. Le sigh. So after whittling down from a nobles costume to middle class merchant. I finally settled on a peasant costume.

Let's start with the kirtle. Made from aprox. 8 plus yards of linen. This I'd had in my stash for about a year. Id tried to dye it brown but it wouldn't go dark enough. So I stripped the color and dyed it twice with navy blue dye and got gray fabric. Whatever, it worked. I used the patterns given to me by my Mom and made a simple bodice with a 6 gore skirt. I'd go with a rectangular skirt next time simply to make it easier.

Next I got out an old shift and threw some simple tube sleeves on it with a gusset. The issue with this is its made to go under an 18th century gown; this caused it to want to try and slip off my shoulders. Super not helpful. Solution? Tie it really tight.

Next!! Sleeves for the kirtle also made from linen.  This I purchased. It was on sale. I had the dye in my stash and dyed it twice to get....a rusty red? These are detachable and made from a pattern that I had to make. I used the directions from here. Super easy.

The partelet.  Made from flannel and linen that was purchased. Not on sale. But I had a coupon. I chose the flannel for two reasons. Number one wool is stupid expensive. Number two after watching a PETA video about sheep shearing in Australia I'm not buying from just anyone. This I used the directions from here again. But I used my pattern fom the Elegant Ladies Closet to give it the basic shape. The problem I encountered here, it's too long.  Eh.Whatever

My coif is a muffin cap. The directions com from a source on the Elizabethan Costuming Page.  Super useful resource of someone just getting started in the era. I'll be wearing one of my Michaels straw hats to keep me shaded. I won't say cool because I know I'm just going to be melting all day.  Ill also be wearing a petticoat and my "boots" I made for civil war era. I'm not ready to shell out a ton of cash for period shoes yet.

You may be wondering why I'm doing all this. I've been asking myself this as I sew frantically during nap time that's only 30 minutes long. My husband, son and myself will be going to Big Bear for the Ren Faire. I'm excited to be getting to head to a period event. I didn't even want to go without a costume.

The faire was a little small and it rained. Bonus for me because I think Id have been really hot. Bad thing on the second day it got rained out and I couldn't get my money back for the weekend passes my hubs bought. The outfit wore pretty well. I split the seams on the sleeves because i whip sticked them. Other than that it was fun!