Saturday, March 16, 2013

1845 Day Dress: Back on the burner!

 I felt it was time to dust this project off once again. I've been home sick....again...and I needed something desperately to distract myself. Here are some photos what was supposed to be cartridge pleating and the almost finished dress.


I've never tried this technique before so I went ahead and looked it up. I found a video where the woman was using embroidery floss, something to mark the distance between the pleats and a large needle. So I had at it using a ruler to mark off 1 inch sections.
.
Testing to see what it might end up looking like.

And all pulled up.


In the end I didn't attach it correctly and it came out jut looking pleated instead. Oh well the next time I give this a try I'll take a stab at it.

With ruffled petticoat.
With ruffled petticoat.
So after working at it most of the day I had this to show for it.


Without.
Without
 Personally I like it much better with the ruffled petticoat but I guess for just around the house wear it would be ok. This morning I made some further adjustments.


 I added back in the sleeve jockey to break up and add some extra detail and I slimmed down the sleeves.


I had pinned up the bottom in preparation to hem it and realized when I put it on to check, that I need to roll up another 3 inches or so.

3 comments:

Hh said...

I love it ! How perfect your fabric are ! May I ask you where you found it ?

Kate said...

Thanks very much! The fabric I got at Joann Fabrics in the calico prints. It wasn't my favorite but it seems to have worked out. ; )

Cindy said...

Love you blog so much, I’ve nominated you for the Very Inspiring Blogger award: http://brokecostumer.blogspot.com/2013/04/very-inspiring-blogger-award.html