Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Sleeve Jockey

Today I cut and sewed my sleeves for the 1840 Day Dress: Reloaded. Fairly simple today just sewed them initially with a1/2 in seam allowance and then pinned them to fit. Using my tailor chalk I removed the pins I had placed, marked the line and sewed the new seam. I usually tailor my sleeves this way because I find that the pattern usually is too large.

I also spent some time pulling together some extant examples of sleeve jockeys that I liked.

This last example being my favorite but alas I think I'll save this for if I ever get the courage to make a repro of the dress.

I made two test samples to see how they looked. I really liked the first example with the ruffle and piping.

 It would figure that I like the one that took longer and was a bit of a pain to sew on the machine. Just to add I also used a 1 inch seam allowance to take up some slack. It may have taken up too much so perhaps I'll use 3/4 in instead.  

1 comment:

Time Traveling in Costume said...

How funny that I saved a photo for my dress inspiration of a lady in 1845 that has the same trim on the jockeys and cuffs. I don't know if I'll have time to do that but I will share mine with you.