So I kinda have a crazy idea.......I want to make some boots.
Whew! I said it, err typed it.
I had found a pair of booties at Wal-Mart for super cheap that I thought would work well for a day's use. Well turns out they are out of stock in every size. Which is beyond me because they were not attractive. But then I had a thought, maybe I could make my own 1840's style boot. So here is what I've though up initially. The idea will be to take a cheap pair of flats and make an upper to be sewn onto them.
So here are the three generations of the pattern I mocked up last night. I used my Roper boots to start and traced those. Then I sewed the first pattern and made adjustments from there for a better shape. I've left the toe portion square in order to fit it onto the flats I buy.
And today I made a "cast" of my foot with duct tape and cling wrap. I stuffed it with printer paper to give it weight.
I almost let myself cannibalize a pair of flats I already own but decided I liked them too much.
Lastly the upper I've put together. This one is made of canvas with muslin lining and exterior. I still need to decided exactly where I'll place the lacing on the side. The reason I made the cast of my foot and calf. I intend to go and get fabric today and I'm thinking maybe a grey or black wool and grosgrain ribbon to line the edges.
Here are some extant examples that I was looking at while making the pattern. I've discarded the idea that I'll get a square toe or an exact replica of the shape. But it's fun to give it a try. Wish me luck!