Monday, May 23, 2011

A bit of this and that.....

 Alrighty I'm calling this one officially done, finished, finoto!
I added some trim and the peach fabric underneath will now be a new ruffled petticoat. The previous cream colored one will either be an extra or a base petticoat.

 Here is the new fabric for my next two projects. The Levite Gown and the Round gown from my Rocking Horse Farm pattern set. The white batiste and blue swirly fabric is for the Levite and the mauve cotton is for the Round Gown. For the round gown I want to have a costume that's going to be comfortable and made for tromping around in the dirt.

 I had bought this fabric thinking that it would match the Polonaise I've been working on. As it turns out it doesn't. Bad idea not taking a fabric swatch to the store.

 Here are some side projects I've either done or been working on lately.

Admittedly the poor hat could use some love. : (

I found this cameo at the dollar store attached to a rubber band. I repainted it green and gold.

I finished this reticule ages ago, I need to put new ribbon through it seeing as how it was attacked by Mollis (Molly) one of my kitty girls.

Right: Molly the Thief/Destroyer.
Left: Harley the Bruiser.

 As everyone knows sleeping on fabric is perfectly acceptable and preferable  ; )

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

It's all in the details....

 I took some time last night and today to get a little tiny bit further with my polonaise. The pick ups gave me some trouble, just making sure they were even. And finally i just gave up and sewed them. No point in getting all worked up over it ;). I also added a bit more stuffing into my bum pad. More is definitely better than less in that department. I'm still waiting to hem my outer petticoat so the length will be appropriate.

Here is the detail i decided to add to the neckline. You can really tell from the picture but I used my pinking shears to cut the material. I'm toying around with the idea of doing the same detail around the edge of the cuff on the sleeves. I'll be making a trip to the store to see if I can't find some sort of "Bling" to add to it as well. The closures are hook and eye but I'm having issues with gaping both on me and the dress form. I can't decide if I want to lose a few pounds and c if it fit or figure out another way to fix it. I'm feeling a little lazy about it.

I threw some lace under the of the ruffles to see how it would look and I'm thinking it might work out. But that's a hand sewing job and I ignore those for as long as I can :) Once I get my Georgiana shoes I want to visit the Huntington Library again, in full regalia. It would be my debut in costume and I can't think of a better place to do it.

I can pay proper tribute to the Duchess herself while I'm there.

And pose for photo ops galore ;)